Saturday, January 27, 2007

Barb is now in the air flying home to Canada. Her flight to Peru from La Paz was likewise cancelled and she was on the bus at 8AM yesterday to Cusco. A bonus is more scenery of Peru (it is beautiful) and another meal at Jack´s. Yummy! While in Bolivia, Barb and I enjoyed La Paz´s nightlife, danced with the locals, took in a football game and sat on the winning side, bartered at the artisan market, and visited Lago Titicaca. Sad news is that my notebook has a virus (I don´t know) so I don´t have any pictures to post at the moment. This weekend I am chilling out in La Paz at my German apartment and a neighbourhood plaza. Hope to get the paints out and some reading done.

Since Wednesday January 24, the festival of Alasitas is ongoing in La Paz and it lasts 10 days. The festival is dedicated to the household god Ekeko, a grinning, red-nosed character who is believed to bring prosperity to devoted believers. Bolivians buy miniature items they desire to present to Ekeko. I think one is also to buy liquor, cigarettes and candy as an offering. Single girls looking for a partner are to pick up a black cock (rooster). Unfortunately Barb and I didn´t see any when we were shopping in the artisan area. Turns out there is a specific area of town to visit. Kevin attended the Alasitas kick off and said the black cocks aren´t that mini and one will be rather bulky to transport back to Canada...I guess that should of been expected. The purchase of mini items including houses, cars, degrees, and money are believed to answered within the coming year by Ekeko. If the items aren´t purchased before 12 PM on the first day of the festival they have to be blessed. I originally thought this was by a priest as both religions are practiced here, but I have since learned that is not the case. Did I really believe a catholic priest would conduct such a blessing? Yah, I did.

Although I don´t believe in Ekeko, I do believe in God, and I am going to purchase some miniature versions of items I would like to be granted in the coming year, including a black cock. I am headed to the area tomorrow morning with Nadia and some friends. Kevin is in Cochabamba with Karen (swedish intern) for the weekend. Some additional toy items I am interested in getting include a car, health certificates, and some airline tickets to Mexico and Japan. I will have to wait til tomorrow to see what else is available.

Will my suite case have room for an extra black cock for Barb? I´ll let you know. Clairita

No comments: