Friday, January 12, 2007

La Paz
I have moved into my apartment in the German owned residence with a restaurant and outside garden cafe. The views are great, especially from the kitchen. Unfortunately I only got to eat lunch at the garden café once as the women who ran the restaurant died unexpectedly which is really sad. She was super friendly and the point of contact for Kevin in securing the apartment for me. The owner of the building stated to Kevin that she hopes to have the restaurant open again in February. Kevin is going to keep the room for a studio refuge and a place for Tegan who is coming for a vacation at the end of March.

Kevin and I have been exploring the streets and the other day we bought some acrylic paints and canvas. I brought my watercolours with me and I picked up some paper yesterday as well. I think I might buy a canvass stand/paint tool box for $35. Bolivia is really inexpensive but it is still easy to spend money…of course. Other daily events include meeting the other Canadian interns, including a couple from Calgary who had a potluck and travel picture gathering the other night. It’s great getting to learn about all the micro credit and fair trade projects that are occurring in Bolivia. Kevin is working on exporting coffee and quinoa to Canada. The organization wants to get more funding for Kevin to keep working on the project in Canada and this week Kevin has meetings with Oxfam regarding quinoa and chocolate export to Canada. Quinoa is a ancient grain that has high protein. Kevin taught me how to make a great quinoa salad with peppers, balsamic vinegar, garlic, onions and lime which is really tasty. Quinoa also grows in BC but is a different variety and I don’t believe it is cultivated for consumption. Kevin says that some health food stores have quinoa but the quality is not as good as Bolivian. The food here is a challenge and it’s hard to buy meat I feel confident about eating. I do occasionally eat with Kevin’s host family which is great.

This Saturday I will be meeting Barb in Cusco for our week in Peru and hike up to Machu Picchu. Currently I am at Blueberry’s Café with my laptop using the free internet. The only place one can have a coffee/tea and surf and post on the net. It is super slow though as I have been at the cafe over three hours now. Time to eat again so I guess the coca tea isn’t working! The three great shots I managed to “steal” in La Paz and Sucre. Chow!

No comments: